What can a Class A gas fitter Do? What are the limits of a Class B gas fitter?
Gas fitters are licensed to work on propane and natural gas systems.
What Do Gas Fitters Do?
Gas fitters employed by utility companies repair and extend gas mains, and install, repair and service pipes and fittings between mains and buildings.
Those employed by propane distributors install and service propane vaporizers, temporary heating equipment, propane metering and dispensing equipment, and propane pumping equipment.
Gasfitters employed by mechanical and service companies install and maintain piping and appliances in residential, commercial and industrial buildings.
Following codes, regulations and accepted safety practices, gasfitters:
- determine the size and type of pipe, equipment, appliances and devices to use,
- test, identify and select the correct piping and related materials,
- measure, cut, thread and assemble pipe using tools such as pipe cutters, pipe threading machines and pipe vices,
- install vents and flues, and connect gas-consuming appliances such as ranges, dryers, barbecues, furnaces, boilers, space heaters, radiant and forced air heaters,
- test and replace defective equipment or components,
- start-up and adjust new or repaired equipment, and
- prepare reports.
Class B Gas Fitters
Class B gas fitters are licensed to install, inspect, repair and maintain any gas-fired equipment up to and including 400,000 British Thermal Units (BTU). They also service, repair, remove and replace gas-fired equipment and components of gas-fired equipment.
>> Class B gas fitters can not exceed 400,000 btus (british thermal units)
They can work in settings including residential, commercial, and industrial (not exceeding 400,000 btu)
Class B gas fitters are also limited on the size of gas lines they can work on. Again, Class B can not exceed 400,000 btus.
Class A Gas Fitters
Class A gas fitters install, inspect, repair and maintain gas fired equipment with unlimited British Thermal Units (BTU).
They also service, repair, remove and replace gas-fired equipment and components of gas-fired equipment.
>> Class A gas fitters are licensed to work on appliances over 400,000 btus (british thermal units)
They can work in any setting including residential, commercial, industrial, institutional and agricultural.
Class A gas fitters can work on any size of gas lines.
RBA Mechanical is a Class A Gas Fitter
RBA Mechanical is licensed to work in all Class A settings, unlimited appliance btu load, and any size of gas lines.